Thursday, June 18, 2009

Del Mar Fair!

Ryan and I went to the Del Mar Fair on Wednesday and had a blast! Here are the highlights . . . Against my better judgment, I ate fried fair food. Why does it always sound so awesome, and yet it never ends up a good idea? At least I used some good judgment, my fried food of choice consisted of garlic battered mushrooms drenched in ranch :) (shown). Yeah, they were pretty good, but after eating super healthy for 8 months, and having nearly zero fast food (grilled cheese from In and Out doesn't count!), my body decided that I would pay for my indulgence. And with that, I said bring it on. At one time this was a funnel cake with raspberry topping and whipped cream. Ryan and I ate the majority of it before I even realized that I wanted to take a picture of it. Every year Ryan and I go to the fair, and every year I document our food. This one is the first to slip (almost) by. More highlights . . . A flying pig on a giant mobile.The abominable snow chicken. My second favorite garden exhibit. Just big enough to be a tropical get away for Piggles. Complete with Piggle sized bridge. My very favorite garden exhibit! We talked to the owner and his wife for about 30 minutes . . . they were both beaming with pride because this venture (they had sunken every dime to their name in it) won EVERY top award in the fair. They explained that it is, in it's most basic form, a garden that consists of a close circuit self watering and fertilizing system. It starts at a fish tank that contains Tilapia, a type of large fish. Water from the tank (and fish waste) essentially go through the circuit of pipes and water and fertilize the plants. Since the planters are filled with gravel there is very little water evaporation and therefore little water loss. Not only can you eat the plants, but the inventor informed us that after 8 months you can eat the fish. It was by far the coolest thing we saw :).

No comments:

Post a Comment