Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Ring Attempt

Alright, so I thought that this would be kind of fun, and it would also keep me busy. I need to stay busy.

Here's a ring project that I've been wanting to reproduce in wire and beads for a while . . .I really liked this ring, and after doing all those earrings I felt like I was up for this level of challenge. This is what I made tonight . . .


I'm happy with the way the band tuned out (although I could use some work on the overall consistency of the fine wire wrap), but not so thrilled with the way I had to attach the focal bead and tiny blue beads around it. It's much prettier in person, the focal bead is aquamarine and the rest are blue topaz. I initially made this for my mom's birthday, but I think I'm going to make another with a new technical idea that hit me after I finished the ring. It's so hard sometimes to translate fine jewelry into wire and beads, but I think those are the most fun :). Speaking of fun jewelry endeavors . . .Here is an unfinished (but now finished) example of the earrings I had to make for the client I was telling you about. Basically, the base is a broken chain link and I wrap and weave beads all the way around the frames. These were the most difficult because those teal beads were top drilled and therefore difficult to attach securely. Not to mention that the stone itself (apatite) is very, very soft and pretty expensive so I couldn't pull to hard when anchoring the bead or I'd snap the top right off. Here are the rest, minus one I didn't finish at the time this picture was taken . . .

When I get better pictures, I'll post. A $30 per pair change is certainly not enough of a labor charge.
And now, the most exciting part, a clean apartment.
And a new and improved work space :).I've got that new burl wood style bowl front and center on the table. It's sectioned in organic shapes and is just completely awesome. I love it!
That's it for now, hopefully I'll have more jewelry projects to post, and more to eventually go onto my Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment